Thursday, February 8, 2007

The Origin of JAC

JAC. That is the name I have chosen to refer to myself on this blog for a number of reasons. First, I figure I must have a name. What if I go somewhere or tell some story. God forbid, what if people even actually read this. For any and all of those reasons, I figure it is beneficial to have a name.

Additionally, you see, it is imperative that one have/use an intriguing name. Whether it is interesting in origin, funny to read/hear, catchy, powerful, strong, clever, witty, easy to remember, etc., I believe it is important to have an intriguing name. Is JAC interesting? Well, I certainly think it is clever and witty in a way. Anyways, here was my process in deciding how to refer to myself.

I have been told that my real name, which I will not say, sounds very strong and one that a person would love to have on their letterhead. However, I will not be using that because I don’t feel comfortable having my name on the Internet. Furthermore, what if I am to write something controversial and provocative which could cost me a job in the future? Additionally, I just don’t like people knowing that I am writing sometimes. So my own birth name is out.

I thought of taking a real pseudonym as an author does a penname, but decided against that. I mean, come on; this is a blog – I am not doing anything important, but only writing tidbits and other sorts that simply interest me. All in all, taking a real pseudonym would make me feel a little self-righteous.

I like to be funny – rather, I should say, I like to amuse myself. If I sometimes am able to amuse others in the process, so be it. I thought of using the name of my favorite video game character – Stryker from Mortal Kombat III – because the story about why he is my favorite is hilarious. And when I say it is hilarious, I mean that I am highly amused by it whether or not anyone else finds it funny. However, I decided against it after googling the name and finding little of value. I mean, the Stryker I know and love is not even in the top 10 search results for Google. What kind of name would I be representing?

Then I thought about people. Generally speaking, I don’t like them all that much. People, that is. However, those few that I do enjoy and, probably more likely, those few that enjoy me and my humor – call them friends if you will – refer to me as being cynical and jaded. And think, they don’t even hear my inner monologue. Ultimately, my cynicism and jaded analyses are evidently humorous to other people besides yours truly.

So there you have it. If you are stupid, then I’m sorry, but I am not going to spell out any more clearly from where JAC came. The thing is, there probably are some people who don’t understand it. And that right there is exactly why I have become and will remain Jaded And Cynical.

No comments: